The Jewellery Industry Registration Board (JIRBNZ) will provide support for those registered apprenticeships which follow the specified training requirements.
To become a Manufacturing Jewellery apprentice and gain your JIRBNZinc trade certification you are generally required to fulfil the following requirements:
- Register as an apprentice with JIRBNZinc.
- Complete 8000 hours as a registered apprentice covering the skills of industry as defined in the Jewellery Industry Record Book (DACUM).
- Successfully complete the Manufacturing Jewellery correspondence course, stages one, two and three with The Open Polytechnic of New Zealand (see useful links).
- Achieve a pass mark for the one practical project.
- Pass the one Trade Certificate exam.
Note: If you are looking for employment in the jewellery industry, either in retail or manufacturing, it is recommended that you enrol in Stage 1 of the Open Polytechnic of New Zealand's correspondence course. Apprentices must complete all three stages. The course is NZQA registered on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF) and is 75% government subsidised. It is open to all public enrolments. Many employers looking to take on an employee or apprentice ask who is doing the course.
The information link for The Open Polytechnic of New Zealand is on this website (see "Useful Links", or you can call on free phone 0508 650 200.
Date of Next Trade Certificate Exam
Trade Certificate exam sat, results posted soon.
Register with JIRB
To register your interest in becoming an apprentice in Manufacting Jewellery, Gemsetting, Engraving or Watchmaking, please use our contact form to request further information. Employers please read employer information page prior to doing so.